Friday, March 28, 2014

Rebel rebel, you've torn your dress.

I've become untethered in time. What is time anyway, but something constructed by humans to measure our collective existence? Whether or not I call this moment the past, which it will be (is now), the present, which it is (just was), or the future which it was (still is), I'm just here (was, is, will be).

That's sort of how I feel about dystopian future stories that were written before I was born (1984, A Clockwork Orange, Brave New World, The Chrysalids...). Reading them has always been a surreal, otherworldly experience in which I feel like I'm observing something in a future that has already happened.

Largely inspired by George Orwell's 1984, with hints of other dystopian future stories woven throughout, Diamond Dogs gives me this same feeling, catapulting me into a timeless timeline in which I float freely between past, present, and future, all where history is made-up and the truth exists only in the little acts of defiance about which only you know.



This timeless place is described in the album's opening track, Future Legend. The year is 1984. I'm only 9 years old, so I have to be careful out there in the Hunger City. My youthful innocence is enmeshed with a sort of memory of the future already lived. I learned about it in my History lessons at school. I make sense of it as best I can. 


 In today's History lesson, teacher told us that the government is listening to our calls, reading our emails, and tracking our Internet searches. It was foretold to us, but we kept calm and carried on, and look where that's gotten us. If you listen closely to the music on the radio, you can hear the blip-blip-blip of those watching over us as they record our conversations. The music becomes dotty and obscured in places where they listen in.

As families of the party we have to be careful. But teacher told us that the proles/peoploids are free, because they don't care. People like that real cool cat, Hallowe'en Jack. He stole a gold-plated granny-brooch off my jacket. It made me want to be like him.


Oh, the dirty, sordid future-past, where prostitution reigns as the best living you can score as a free person, and the price is only your hope, your soul, your heart. But you wouldn't have it any other way, would you? If you want it, boys, get it here, thing. 'Cuz hope, boys, is a cheap thing.


It's weird that as a 9 year old girl, I know about such things. I don't know them from personal experience, God no! I know them because they're in my memory, planted there from my travels through the thing we made up called Time. My family thinks I'm blissfully unaware of the crumbling society around me. They support the status quo, do what they have to do to survive and protect me.

I sit atop the staircase to the basement at my grandmother's house and watch as my uncle's cover band, The Suspects, rehearses songs for their next show. My uncle is the drummer and the singer, which is apparently really hard to do. To my 9 year old self, he's a rock 'n' roll idol and my favourite babysitter. The band doesn't always let me watch them rehearse - children cramp their style. But today they relent to my pleas. I'm a good audience - I sing along and clap after every song. Especially this one. You've got your transmission and a livewire!


Watching the Suspects rehearse fills my head with dreams. I go to school, but instead of paying attention to my lessons, I doodle pictures of rock stars. I start my own airband with kids from the neighbourhood. We rehearse in the basement, too. I'm the singer. My band members all play air instruments, but I don't lip sync. I break all the airband rules. When you rock and roll with me, there's no one else I'd rather be.


There is a conversation happening upstairs. My grandmother and grandfather are talking about things that children shouldn't hear. I don't understand, but 30 years later, my nightmares make sense of it for me. We are the dead. What did they mean? Who are the thought police, Grandpa? What are fuck-me pumps, Grandma? I never got to ask. I never saw them again. I went upstairs, and the window was open, and they were gone. 


When it turned 1984, I watched the ball drop in Times Square on TV, like you, like everyone, like every year. It was the first time I was ever allowed to ring in the new year. I was in a strange place though. Not my grandparents' house, where I lived. Somewhere else, where the kids were allowed to eat cereal that I wasn't allowed to have. Sugar cereal. Such an important night, and that's what I remember. Dick Clark and Cap'n Crunch. It scraped the roof of my mouth raw and I liked it. Beware the savage jaw of 1984.


I never did care much for Big Brother. The way people talk about him, you'd think he was God or something. I never did care much for Him either. The only difference between them is that God's a fictional character, but Big Brother is real. 


As I type this, Big Brother is watching my 9 year old self, noting her rebellious tendencies -- her penchant for not doing her homework, the improper way she wears her school uniform (shirt untucked, socks rolled down), the earrings she stole from the shop. She's just a child, but one day, she'll become vanishable. She'll write her thoughts and memories for others to read and... whose footsteps are those in the corridor?

*****
Sorry if the above is a bit fleeting and disjointed, but memories, and free movement through Time are like that. You sort of never know what's going to pop up. I like things that way. I like life "on shuffle" in some ways. But my habit of putting several Bowie albums on shuffle didn't exactly work for Diamond Dogs. In a way, this album dates itself in terms of its composition; there was a time, before music went digital, when shuffle didn't exist, and albums were meant to be listened to as a whole. I mean, I guess you could sit next to the turntable and move the needle around if you wanted, but why would you?

Diamond Dog's songs are woven together, bleed into one another, are part of each other. As a result, this album needs to be listened to as a whole to be fully appreciated. I hope I haven't done it a disservice by breaking it up into pieces above to tell the story of where it took me.  So without further adieu, here it is in it's full glory.


*****

Post Script: The above story is obviously fiction, but it's based on some true things. Like living at my grandparent's house as a child in the early to mid 80's and watching my uncle's band rehearse covers of awesome rock songs in the basement. During my first listen to Diamond Dogs, I just about jumped out of my seat on the bus when Rebel Rebel came on because I suddenly remembered that it was one of the songs my uncle's band used to play, and I remember watching them rehearse it. Needless to say was a rather joyous recollection. I just need you to know that really happened, and that it's one of my all-time favourite childhood music-related memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment