Monday, December 15, 2014

I can't see the water for the tears in my eyes.


This post was supposed to be named "Down in space it's always 1982".

I was really excited about this one. But here's the thing. I need to just throw it out. I started listening to Toy in mid November. The first day I started listening to it, Toronto had its first major snowfall of the season. Life felt airy and sweet and Christmassy, with pine, cinnamon, and the tinkerbell giggles of sweet little children on the wind. Combine that with the sounds of Bowie covering his own early songs, singing about things he cared about when he was a lad, I was filled with a kind of anticipatory holiday joy. Toy felt like an unexpected Christmas gift. It transported me to Christmases from the past.

I was going to write about that joyful journey through old Christmases. But now I can't. Because something terrible happened while I was listening to this album. Someone who is so much a part of all my past Christmases decided to take himself out of the physical world.

And now another Christmas is about to happen, and my dad is not going to be there. The joyful journey upon which Toy was taking me has come to an abrupt end. I've been trying to get it back, but it's just gone. Sadly, I think Toy may have become an emotional bookmark for some of the worst pain I've ever endured. So I'm sorry. In order for me to move on with this project, I just need to give you the album to listen to on your own, with no magical, mystical interference from me. 

So here it is.



*****

Toy was recorded in 2000-2001, but it was never released. It exists in the public realm because someone leaked it onto the Internet in 2011. 

No comments:

Post a Comment